Summer Learning and Design Lab for Educators
Many Voices, Many Visions
Monday, June 24, through Wednesday, June 26
9 am to 5 pm daily; Wednesday reception from 5 to 7 pm
Who? Applications accepted from pairs of K-12 teachers/administrators eager to work with VMFA educators to develop interdisciplinary, project-based or experiential-learning resources related to the VMFA Collection.
(Applicants may use Collections Search tools to explore VMCA works of art at https://www.vmfa.museum/collections/.)
Each two-teacher team will submit an application describing their idea or proposed topic and how it relates to the VMFA Collection. Cross-curricular teams, especially ones that include areas not traditionally associated with art museum programs (such as science, math, etc.) are encouraged.
What’s Required? Each team will:
- Participate in the summer lab scheduled from 9 am to 5 pm, Monday, June 24, through Wednesday, June 26, with a reception to follow on Wednesday evening;
- Present a related activity at the 2019 Teacher Open House, Friday, August 30, 2019, from 5:30 to 7:30 pm (which will guarantee a ticket to event); and
- Plan and deliver a related teacher workshop workshops during the 2019-2020 school year. (Dates to be determined during the summer lab.) At least one completed resource for VMFA’s Learn web site is required following the workshop.
Honoraria and recertification points! For these efforts, each teacher will receive $200 for participation in the summer lab and an additional $200 honorarium for the workshop presentation. Certificates reflecting the hours contributed to the project will be awarded.
Theme for Proposals: Many Voices, Many Visions
This central theme was chosen to encourage the inclusion of diverse viewpoints and innovative approaches to learning. Possible areas include, but are not limited to:
- Social justice issues (immigration, gender equity, economic disparity, etc.)
- Diverse voices represented through works of art
- Ecological issues
- STEAM investigations
To apply, fill out the on-line application form found here.
Application Deadline: March 8, 2019
NOTICE OF ACCEPTANCE
Applicants will receive notification of acceptance by April 12, 2019, and must confirm enrollment by returning required forms by April 19, 2019.