- Karl L. H. Müller (American, born Germany, ca. 1820-1887), designer. Union Porcelain Works (active 1863-ca. 1922), manufacturer. Century Vase, ca. 1876-77, Greenpoint (now Brooklyn), New York. Porcelain, with bisque and glazed surfaces, partially painted and gilded, 12 ¾ inches high. Marked: “K. MULLER” under portrait; “UPW” on relief panel; “MANUFACTURED BY UNION PORCELAIN WORKS GREENPOINT, NY” and “UPWC” on underside. J. Harwood and Louise B. Cochrane Fund and partial gift of Robert Hunter and Marshall Goodwin, 2012.7
- Kristin Baker (American, b. 1975), The Prig, 2008, acrylic on polyvinyl chloride. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall Jr., in celebration of VMFA’s 75th anniversary, 2011.501
- Kuba (Democratic Republic of Congo), 21 textiles (four long wrap skirts, four overskirts, nine single presentation panels, and four multiple presentation panels), 19th-20th century, raffia palm fiber, various sizes. Gift of Allen and Barbara Davis in memory of Frère Joseph-Aurélien Cornet on the occasion of VMFA’s 75th anniversary, 2011.530 – 2011.550
- Félix Bracquemond (French, 1833-1914), 91 prints, including L’Arc-en-ciel (2011.369); Emil Courtin, a portrait of Félix Bracquemond,vintage photograph. Gift of Frank Raysor
- Edward Weston (American, 1886-1958), Ruth St. Denis, 1916, platinum print, 6⅜ x 4½”. Signed on recto and inscribed on verso by Edward Weston: “Merry Christmas Lillian from Flora and Edward”. Floyd D. and Anne C. Gottwald Fund, 2012.1
Additional Purchases and Gifts:
- Fali culture (Cameroon), Doll, mid-20th century, wood, glass beads, cowries, coins, fiber, 8⅞ x 4 x 2¾”. Gift of Lindley and Judy Smith in celebration of VMFA’s 75th anniversary.
- Senufo or Lobi culture (Cote d’Ivoire, Burkina Faso), Slingshot in the Form of a Man, 19th-20th century, wood, 9⅛ x 4 x 1½”. Gift of Lindley and Judy Smith in celebration of VMFA’s 75th anniversary.
- George Platt Lynes (American, 1907-1955), W.H. Auden, 1947, vintage gelatin silver print. Gift of Mitchell Merling in celebration of VMFA’s 75th Anniversary.
- Louis C. Tiffany (1848-1933), designer, Tiffany & Company (1837–present), manufacturer, Brooch-Pendant, ca. 1910–1914, New York, New York, gold, plique-à-jour enameling, with inset cushion-cut yellow sapphire (approx. 12.5 carats), 1½ x 1 ⅜”. Gift of Frances Massey Dulaney in celebration of VMFA’s 75th anniversary.
- Tiffany and Company (1837-present), retailer, Ornamental Hair Comb, ca. 1880, sterling, 7”h. Gift of Marie Elizabeth Mason.
- Marion Post Wolcott (American, 1910-1990), Baptism in Triplett Creek, Rowan County, Kentucky, 1940, gelatin silver print, 8 -7/16 x 11½”. Floyd D. and Anne C. Gottwald Fund.
- Unknown artisan, “Hitchcock” Chair, 19th century, painted wood, 33¼ x 14¾ x 13″. Gift of Joy S. Weber.
Native American Art
- Navajo Rug (Chinle, Arizona), ca. 1920, wool, 74 x 56”. Gift of Mareke Meiborg Schiller.
East Asian Art
- Chinese, three Rubbings from Wu Family Shrine, ink on paper mounted on board, late 19th-early 20th century. Gift of Muriel B. Christison.
- Kawase Hasui (Japanese 1883-1957), Sixty-three woodblock, late 19th-mid 20th century. René and Carolyn Balcer Collection.
- Japanese, Bowl with Landscape Design, early 20th century, Arita-Imari ware, porcelain with overglaze enamels and gold, about 6” diameter. Gift of Dr. and Mrs. William Jackson Frable.
- Indian, North India, probably Kashmir, Fragment of a Sash (Patka) or Scarf (Dupatta) with Paisley Motif, 18th century, Shawl-cloth: loom-woven fine wool threads, 13½ x 27”; Indian, North India, Fragment of a Striped Textile, 18th century, loom-woven silk and gold wrapped silk threads, 21½ x 17”. Gift of Muriel B. Christison.
Modern & Contemporary Art
- Berenice Abbott (American, 1898-1991), City Arabesque, 1938, gelatin silver print, 13¼ x 9¾”. Floyd D. and Anne C. Gottwald Fund.
- Francis Bacon (Irish, 1909-1992), L’etude pour tauromachie numero 1, deuxieme version, 1990, color lithograph, 18⅞ x 14¼”. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr.
- Sonia Delauney (French, 1885-1979), Projet de decoration, 1932, gouache on paper, 10 3/16 x 23 ⅝”. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr.
- Peter Henry Emerson (British, 1856–1936), The Old and the New, 1886, platinum print, 4¾ x 9”. Aldine S. Hartman Endowment Fund.
- Michelle Erickson (American, born 1961), Fossil Teapot, 2008, thrown hand-mottled and hand-built porcelain with slip cast elements, porcelain slip glaze and jasper glaze, 11 x 22 x 8”. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr.
- Mark Fox (American, born 1963), Untitled (Tower), 2011, painted paper on wood table, crayons in straw basket, 132 x 36 x 24”. Gift of Elizabeth F. and William P. Harris in celebration of VMFA’s 75th anniversary.
- Robert Frank (born 1924 in Switzerland), Allen Ginsberg, 1959, gelatin silver print, 12¾ x 7¾”. Aldine S. Hartman Endowment Fund.
- Sidney Goodman (American, born 1936): Head of a Man, 1964, oil on canvas, 13¾ x 11¼”; Tunnel, 1964, pencil on paper, 24 x 30”. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr.
- Rockwell Kent (American, 1882-1971), Climbing the Bars, 1928, lithograph, 11 x 8”. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr.
- André Lhote (French, 1885-1962): Au bord de la riviere, 1912, oil on canvas, 22 1/16 x 31⅞” (2011.508); Vue du Luberon, ca. 1950, oil on canvas, 14 15/16 x 21⅝” (2011.509); Portrait d’Anne à la robe rouge, ca. 1925, oil on canvas, 13¾ x 8 ⅝” (2011.511); Ledah et le cygnet, ca. 1930, gouache on paper, 11⅜ x 15⅜”. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr.
- Ryan McGinness (American, born 1970), Untitled (VMFA cyanotypes #1-#12), 2010, twelve unique cyanotypes on Saunders Waterford paper, ea: 30 x 22”. Gift of an anonymous donor in celebration of VMFA’s 75th anniversary.
- Ryan McGinness, two prints published by Pace Editions, Inc., 2011, 42 x 32 in. each: VMFA Process Sketches, etching (2011.492); VMFA Drawings (Blind), relief print. Gift of Pace Editions, Inc. in celebration of VMFA’s 75th anniversary.
- Reginald Marsh (American, 1898-1954), New York Harbor & Skyline, 1932, watercolor on paper, 19⅜ x 13½”. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr.
- Bernard Martin (American, born 1935), Jackson Pollock/Life Magazine, 1996-1997, oil on acrylic on three canvases, 74¼ x 55” each. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr.
- Henri Matisse (French, 1869-1954), Femme au Collier, 1925, lithograph on jargon paper, 22 x 17¾”. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr.
- Sascha Pflaeging (German, born 1967), three photographs from the series “When Janey Comes Marching Home,” 2010, digital c-prints, each image: 31 x 26”. Gift of the artist.
- James Prose (American, born 1975), Peacock & Cobra, 2008, five etchings with drypoint, 2¼ x 15 x 10”. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr.
- Arnaldo Roche-Rabell (Puerto Rican, 1955), How Much You Want, 2007, oil on paper, 63¾ x 51¼”. Gift of Jean Crutchfield and Robert Hobbs in celebration of VMFA’s 75th anniversary.
- Marco Sanges (Italian, b. 1970), Portrait series 12 n’ 3, gelatin silver print, ed. 1/15, 16 x 12”. Gift of the artist.
- Sean Scully (American, b. Ireland, 1945), Cut Ground Red Blue, 2009, oil on linen, 110 x 161¼”. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr. in celebration of VMFA’s 75th anniversary (fractional gift).
- Sean Scully, Santo Domingo for Nene Suite, 1999-2000, twelve type-C color photographs, 20 x 24” each. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr.
- Jon-Phillip Sheridan (American, born 1977), Direct Object 14, 2010, chromogenic print, ed. 2/5, unf: 47½ x 59″. Un/Common Ground Fund, Kathleen Boone Samuels Memorial Fund, and funds contributed by Irma Goldstein.
- Gordon Stettinius (American, born 1966), Self Portrait Series, 2008–2011, 22 digital C-prints, 10 x 8” each. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr.
- Donald Sultan (American, born 1951), Trumpet Series, 2007, Conte crayon and India ink on paper, 40 x 35¾”. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr.
- Leo Villareal (American, born 1967), Sky, 2009, light emitting diodes, Mac mini, circuitry, plexiglass and wood, 36 x 96 x 5½”. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr.
- Maurice de Vlaminck (French, 1876-1958), Maison dans les arbres, ca.1930, gouache and watercolor on paper, 18¾ x 24½”. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr.
- John Walker (English, born 1939), The First Rainbow, 2006/2009, oil on canvas, 84 x 66” Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr. in celebration of VMFA’s 75th anniversary.
- John Walker, North Branch II, 2009, oil and mud on canvas, three panels: 84 x 66”; 84 x 84”; 84 x 66”, ca. 84 x 228” overall (includes gaps); Bonfire I, North Branch, 2009, oil on canvas, 60 x 48”; Bonfire II, North Branch, 2009, oil on canvas, 60 x 48”. Gift of Pamela K. and William A. Royall, Jr.
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is a state agency and a model public/private partnership. All works of art are purchased with private funds from dedicated endowments. After the board of trustees accepts the acquisitions, the art becomes the property of the Commonwealth of Virginia to protect, preserve and interpret. The Acquisitions committee meets quarterly.