At VMFA’s Amuse Restaurant, in celebration of the current exhibition Napoleon: Power and Splendor, Chef de Cuisine Greg Haley’s thoughtful and refined Napoleon-inspired menu ranges from the casual Le Burger to a sumptuous Lobster Thermidor. This week, on the heels of Bastille Day and France’s World Cup victory, Chef Haley added a more down-to-earth, traditional dish and cocktail. Both can be easily prepared and enjoyed at home. Bon appétit!
The Bourbon Restoration is a refreshing bourbon sour that blends a local Virginia spirit and French-inspired ingredients.
- 1 1/2 oz Kopper Kettle Bourbon
- 3/4 oz Quince Wine
- 1/2 oz Simple
- 1/2 oz Lemon
Duck Confit & Strozzapreti
Our Duck Confit blends both classic French and Corsican cuisine. Confit is a soul food of France, and our recipe follows traditional preparation. Strozzapreti combines ricotta and Swiss chard—both popular ingredients in Corsica.
(Yield: Dinner for 4)
- 4 duck leg quarters (thigh & leg)
- 7-8 oz duck fat
- 4 tsp salt
- ¼ oz package fresh thyme
- 1 bunch Swiss chard
- 2 tsp salt, divided in half
- 1 cup ricotta
- 4 oz butter, melted
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp chopped mint
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method of Prep for Duck:
- Place duck legs into a 9×9 baking dish and divide salt and thyme equally on to each one. Cover and let sit in refrigerator for 24-48 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 325° then place duck into a clean baking dish and cover with duck fat and bake for about 1 ½ -2 hours or until tender.
Method of Prep for Strozzapreti:
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add chard leaves and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Drain and transfer to a clean linen or kitchen towel and twist to drain excess liquid.
- Next, mix all other ingredients in a bowl, finely chop the chard and stir in to form the dough. Using an oval ice cream scoop and a cookie sheet, shape dough into 12 oval dumplings and freeze for about 30 minutes.
- Finally, in a pot of boiling water, cook dumplings for about 5 minutes then transfer to bowls.
- If desired, in a large skillet heat 1 tbsp olive oil and brown strozzapreti for about 45 seconds on each side.
- Serve immediately with duck placed on top.