The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA) is seeking a hard-working, self-motivated, high-energy team players with strong communication and service skills to join the VMFA Shop as Sales Associates.
Diversity and inclusivity are at the heart of what we do at Virginia Museum of Fine Arts and we are committed to upholding these values in our retail and foodservice operations. As an extension of the museum’s mission to enrich the lives of all, our Enterprise Operations are passionately dedicated to opening the museum’s doors to people from all backgrounds, including all races, ethnicities, genders and abilities.
The availability to work holidays is required with sufficient availability for weekdays. Schedules rotate with advance notice to staff.
Work hours may vary on weekdays, weekends and evenings.
The VMFA Shop searches the world to provide a diverse selection of unique jewelry, home accessories, toys, stationery, and books, focusing on merchandise related to the museum’s collections and exhibitions as well as educational items and work from Virginia artists. Proceeds from the VMFA Shop support VMFA’s programs and exhibitions.
Sales Associate duties include:
- Welcoming and greeting customers.
- Helping create a positive environment in which to shop and buy.
- Offering assistance and guiding customer purchases by providing appealing product details.
- Answering customers’ questions and concerns.
- Answering phones, handling and recording customer inquiries.
- Working collaboratively to exceed sales goals.
- Operating cash registers with strict cash handling accuracy, including opening and closing of registers.
- Maintaining sales floor appearance; cleaning, dusting and general upkeep of Shop and assigned areas.
- Helping organize and replenish or process sales floor and backroom inventory stock.
- Processing damages in a timely manner.
- Ensuring minimal product shrinkage and loss prevention.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to handle calmly a fast-paced work environment with little supervision.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as required.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including days, holidays, evenings and weekends.
- Ability to complete transactions accurately.
- Ability to communicate clearly and respectfully with customers and staff members.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend instructions.
- Ability to operate point-of-sales system including both cash and credit card transactions.
- Ability to lift or move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to use fine and gross motor skills; finger and hand dexterity; reach with hands and arms; climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk and hear.
- Ability to stand for up to 10 hours.
- Ability to be prompt and punctual to shifts.
- Maintain a professional appearance.
- Prior high-end retail sales, customer service, hospitality or other relevant sales experience.
Selected candidates must pass a criminal history background check.
Disclosure of vaccination status will be required during new employee orientation on your first day of work. If you are not vaccinated for any reason or choose not to disclose your vaccination status, you will be required to be tested for COVID-19 once a week as long as ED#18 is in effect.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Interested individuals must submit an online application. Position is open until 11:59 p.m. on October 25, 2021.
Please contact the HR office at email@example.com if you need assistance. VMFA is an EEO/AA and Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Certified Employer.
Click here to apply for this position: