The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA) is seeking an experienced, highly skilled and responsive individual to join the Building and Grounds Department as a Fire Safety Specialist, with a main focus on the life safety systems.
Join the VMFA and enjoy these employee benefits:
State health benefits (medical, dental, and vision plans)
Paid state holidays (12 days)
Best Café, Amuse Restaurant and VMFA Shop discounts
Free admission to VMFA special exhibitions
Employee pricing for select museum programs and classes
Uniforms, safety shoes, PPE and tools provided at no cost to employee
The Fire Safety Specialist is responsible for supporting the daily operations of the buildings located on the Museum’s campus by maintaining all life safety systems on the museum’s campus and providing troubleshooting and maintenance for a wide variety of air conditioning, refrigeration, heating, and ventilation equipment, 24-hours, 365-days a year.
With on-call responsibilities, this role is the first responder to issues or emergencies that occur after business hours that may potentially disrupt museum operations. The work of the Fire Safety Specialist protects staff, patrons and the museum’s art collections.
Main Duties include:
- Maintain all life safety systems on the museum’s campus to include, but not limited to: all sprinkler and fire suppression systems, fire pump, fire extinguishers, on campus hydrants, commercial kitchen exhaust hood systems, atrium smoke exhaust and make up fans, main building generator, remote radiator, parking deck generator.
- Maintain proper fuel levels for generators.
- Assist contractors during testing of all life safety equipment when needed.
Other duties include:
- Operates computerized Building Automation System that controls the Museum’s HVAC equipment, which provides the proper temperature and humidity environment.
Provides first response to problems and resolves problems or emergencies after normal business hours.
- Troubleshoots temperature and humidity alarms in the art related areas to determine if mechanical or computer related.
- Resets building computer programming to restart the Museum’s physical plant after power failures/spikes.
- Checks for failed points in system.
- Starts/stops equipment; tests safety alarms, etc.
- Performs daily work checks on assigned equipment.
- Checks for problems and adjustment needs, performs checks in other technicians’ areas during their absence.
- Maintains assigned equipment, assigned equipment rooms, and parts inventory.
- Ensures the proper use and upkeep of assigned tools.
- Designated as essential personnel.
- Maintains work orders and reports.
- Submits work orders to the supervisor.
- Actively contributes to agency Small, Women and Minority (SWaM) business goals by properly following and/or enforcing museum procurement policies and procedures and promoting the SWaM program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have a valid Virginia Driver’s License.
- Journeyman level card in either electrical or mechanical field.
- Certificate of completion from an accredited school for pipefitters and/or fire sprinkler program.
- Considerable experience at mechanic level in the field of commercial/industrial fire sprinkler installation and/ or maintenance.
- Selected candidates must pass a criminal history background check.
- As Designated / Essential Staff, this position may be required to perform other duties related to security, safety and health as assigned (i.e. training).
- As Designated / Essential Staff, this position may be required to assist the museum or state government during inclement weather or in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor or the Director of the Museum.
- VMFA Agency Directive requires:
All staff, volunteers, and contractors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (except for cases of approved medical or religious accommodation).
Proof of vaccination must be provided shortly after acceptance of contingent offer of employment.All staff, volunteers, and contractors are required to wear masks for all indoor and outdoor events.While outside on campus grounds, all VMFA employees must wear masks when a social distance of six (6) feet cannot be maintained.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
All candidates must complete an online application. Position is open until filled.
Please contact the HR office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.
Please submit three (3) references. Provide full name, phone number and email address. References may be attached in a separate document in the “other” field in the portal; or they may be included with the resume or cover letter.
Professional references are preferred. Other reference types will also receive consideration. References should be able to attest to your knowledge, skills, and abilities, especially qualifications relevant to the position for which you are applying.
Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is an EEO/AA, Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Certified Employer.
Click here to apply: